Gas Leaks

If you think you can smell gas then take the following actions:

  • Turn off the gas supply at the meter
  • Open doors and windows to ventilate the property
  • Remove all sources of ignition
  • DO NOT smoke
  • DO NOT operate electrical switches
  • Contact the GAS EMERGENCY SERVICE on 0800 111 000 999

Carbon Monoxide

Badly fitted and poorly serviced appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.

Protect yourself from the dangers by following these simple steps:

  • Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix or service your appliances
  • Get your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year
  • Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm
  • Check for warning signs such as lazy yellow flames or black marks or stains around the appliance
  • Know the six main signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness